Self Hosted eCommerce
Self hosted means you have installed the software on your own computer - examples of self hosted eCommerce platforms are WooCommerce and Magento.
- More flexibility on customisation of look and feel of the store, providing your customers with the user experience you want them to experience
- Easy to change as your business evolves
- Policies regarding what is displayed, ownership of images etc. are controlled by you, not by the host provider
- If the host company closes its doors, you are not impacted and your shopfront will still remain operational.
- Coding knowledge and outsourcing is often required (increasing your costs to start up your online store)
- Poor implementation can result in increased system vulnerability and exposure to fraudulent activity by hackers
- Increased costs to ensure extra security
- There can be limited support beyond forums and blogs.
© RMIT University 2016