Proto-personas are based on secondary research only and are generated when there is little time and/or money available.
Following is a brief list of some of the pros and cons associated with using proto-personas.
- Good to develop when there is no money available for research - using this type of persona is better than having no persona at all to guide you.
- Fast and fun to construct.
- These personas are usually created by the business using an educated ‘guess’.
- The persona is not a validated representation of your customer or consumer.
- You could be targeting the wrong customers or consumers.
When using this type of persona, it is advisable to continually improve the persona as more factual data becomes available. Create a living document that continues to expand your knowledge as information becomes available.
For information on proto-personas see the related links section below.
© RMIT University 2016