Useful online reading resources
There’s a wealth of authentic reading material available to teachers and learners online. News reports, blogs, reviews, social media posts, advertisements, shopping sites and magazine articles allow us to create lessons that give learners access to language used authentically. There is also a range of useful reading materials specifically for learners of English that teachers and learners can exploit.
Below are four useful resources that teachers can use to create interesting and level-appropriate online reading lessons for their learners, as well as websites that learners can access themselves. Click on the link to each one and answer the following questions.
- What level of learner is it appropriate for?
- What age of learner is it appropriate for?
- Does the site provide a complete reading lesson or do you need to build a lesson around a text?
- Might it be useful for your learners?
Reflect and share
- Which website would you use the most, do you think? Why?
- What other online resources do you use or know of where teachers and learners can find useful reading material?
Share your answers to both these questions in the comments. If you can, share links to any useful online resources you know, and say a little bit about why the resource is useful and/or how you use it on the Padlet wall here.
© UCLES 2018