Learn how to opioid analgesics for the treatment of cancer pain
Despite being commonly prescribed, opioids account for more reported drug errors than any other high-risk medication (Alanazi et al, 2016). They represent a significant patient safety and public health issue. This course will help you increase your knowledge of the basic pharmacology of opioids so you are better able to prescribe them safely and effectively in the treatment of cancer-related pain.
You will learn the principles for safe prescribing, get to grips with the management of opioid-related adverse events and understand the rationale for prescribing opioid analgesics for cancer pain.
- Week 1: Basic pharmacology and rationale for opioid analgesics.
- Week 2: Principles of safe opioid prescribing in practice for patients with cancer.
- Week 3: Safe management of opioid-related adverse events.
Who is this accredited by?
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Describe the pharmacology of and mechanisms of action of opioid analgesics.
- Explain pharmacological and physiological terminology related to opioid analgesia
- Explain the rationale for selecting opioid analgesics for a range of clinical situations
- Explain the process of selecting an appropriate starting dosing schedule for commmonly prescribed opioid analgesics.
- Describe when and how to convert opioids without compromising safety and efficacy .
- Describe how to manage common opioid related adverse events.
- Describe reasons why pain may not respond or responds poorly to opioids.
Who is the course for?
This course is for qualified healthcare professionals who prescribe opioid drugs and/or care for patients who are taking opioids anywhere in the world. It will be of particular use to general practitioners, palliative care specialists, acute hospital practitioners (surgical and medical disciplines), pharmacists and those with an interest in pain management, including medical and non-medical prescribers and those professionals involved in monitoring and supervision of opioid prescribing.
Do you know someone who’d love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #FLopioids to talk about this course on social media.