Weekly study2 hours
100% onlineLearn at your own pace
Extra BenefitsFrom $64
Physiotherapy Exercise and Physical Activity for Knee Osteoarthritis (PEAK)
Implement best-practice care to people with knee osteoarthritis
The PEAK program was devised by leading physiotherapists at the University of Melbourne on the basis of research evidence. On this course we guide physiotherapists in how to implement best-practice care to people with knee osteoarthritis, delivered through one-to-one consultations, via videoconferencing (using the Zoom platform) or during face-to-face, in-person consultations.
The PEAK program focuses on patient empowerment through education, prescription of a strengthening exercise program and a physical activity plan, individualised to patient needs, and using minimal exercise equipment (e.g. elastic resistance bands and/or body weight) to enable patients to perform exercise independently at home.
Many of the principles and concepts are applicable to other common musculoskeletal conditions, and to other telehealth videoconferencing platforms. Importantly, a suite of useful patient resources (including a Zoom consultation preparation booklet, an exercise booklet, an osteoarthritis information booklet, a knee plan and log book) are provided with the course upgrade, so that physiotherapists may print/download them or use with their patients in a clinical setting.
Evidence-Based Knee Osteoarthritis
- What is osteoarthritis?
- Making the diagnosis…
- Pain, comorbidities, and misconceptions with osteoarthritis
- Evidence-based management of osteoarthritis
Telehealth Delivery of Physiotherapy Care
- Introduction to telehealth
- Technical connections for telehealth
- Getting started with telehealth
- Learning how to use Zoom
The PEAK Program
- Getting started
- The first consultation
- Follow up consultations
Learning on this course
You can take this self-guided course and learn at your own pace. On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Describe the best-practice management of knee osteoarthritis, based on the latest research evidence
- Summarise osteoarthritis, its prognosis and common treatment approaches, including the benefits of exercise and strategies for staying physically active to your patients.
- Apply a structured program of education, strengthening exercises and an individualised physical activity plan with your clients who have persistent knee pain.
- Perform delivery of the PEAK program in your clinical setting, during both face-to-face consultations and via telehealth.
Who is the course for?
Physiotherapists, Physiotherapy students, educators, researchers and other health professionals
What software or tools do you need?
To complete some exercises with patients you may require basic equipment such as resistance bands.
Who developed the course?
The University of Melbourne is a public research university located in Melbourne, Australia. We are Australia’s number one university and world leader in education, teaching and research excellence.
World rankingTop 40Source: Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2021
Learner reviews cannot be loaded due to your cookie settings. Please and refresh the page to view this content.
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
Do you know someone who'd love this course? Tell them about it...
Learners who joined this course have also enjoyed these courses.