People Management Skills
Become a successful line manager
Whether you’re a natural leader or want to improve your management skills, this 5-week course will teach you the people management skills you need on your journey towards becoming a successful line manager.
It can be daunting to become a new line manager, but preparation and confidence are key. The aim of this course is to make that transition easier and stress-free so that you can thrive in your new role.
Discover your leadership style
To become a great line manager, you must first discover your leadership style. You’ll gain an understanding of different management styles and learn how to adapt your style when necessary.
We will also explore adapting your management style to new ways of working.
Develop your management skills
You’ll learn about the labour market and recruitment process, team development and successful coaching. You’ll also learn the importance of managing conflict and wellbeing in the workplace.
Gain an introduction to performance management and learn about the signs of a high performing team, setting performance objectives and other performance management top tips. You’ll go through some real-life scenarios to practice your new skills.
By the end of the course you’ll have all the tools you need to step into the world of people management and succeed in your career.
- Overview of approaches to management
- Introduction to the labour market and recruitment processes
- Learning and development for individuals and teams
- Introduction to performance management and appraisals
- Managing absence
- Overview of wellbeing at work
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Explore elements of managing absence and supporting employees returning to work
- Assess the current labour market conditions and trends for your organisation
- Explore good practice in both recruitment and induction
- Describe effective ways of developing both teams and individuals
- Explore approaches to managing good workplace performance
- Describe ways to address shortfalls in performance
- Discuss the need to maintain a healthy workforce
- Reflect on your own management style
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for new and aspiring line managers or companies that want to provide employees with people management skills.
This course has been developed by the CIPD with the financial support of JPMorgan Chase Foundation.
Learner reviews cannot be loaded due to your cookie settings. Please and refresh the page to view this content.
Learners who joined this course have also enjoyed these courses.