Explore logistics and supply chains, and the issues created by globalisation
On this course, you will identify and explore the issues shaping global logistics in the world today. You will have the opportunity to define logistics and supply chains and address the importance of the physical characteristics of goods.
Throughout this course, you will evaluate the influence of inventory, outsourcing and trade blocks on global networks. You will also discuss and assess, in detail, the problems caused by this increasing globalisation.
What topics will you cover?
- Defining logistics and supply chains
- The supply chain river
- Elements of logistics
- Physical characteristics: how does this shape logistics?
- Compare coal and diamonds, or ladders and clothing, or gold and ammonium nitrate
- What is shaping global logistics? Globalisation, inventory reduction, outsourcing and supply chain complexity
- Recognise the key global trade blocks and the movement of trade internationally
- Critically evaluate globalisation and the problems it can cause
When would you like to start?
Most FutureLearn courses run multiple times. Every run of a course has a set start date but you can join it and work through it after it starts. Find out more
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Identify what shapes the global logistics market
- Recognise physical characteristics of goods
- Critically evaluate the effect of physical characteristics on logistics networks
- Analyse the role of global trade blocks
- Discuss the effect of global trade blocks on logistics movements
- Consider the imbalance of trade, effect of protectionism, is free trade a dream?
- Assess complexity of global supply chains
- Evaluate inventory centralisation and the transport cost/inventory trade-off
- Recognise the rise of outsourcing to the logistics service provider
Who is the course for?
This course is for business professionals aiming to improve their logistics, supply chain or distribution skills.
Please note that the staff described in the ‘Who will you learn with?’ section below may be subject to change.
Join this course
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
for one year
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
What's different about this course?
Since 2017 you have been able to take a degree on FutureLearn. This free course is a bit like a starter course for a degree — it should give you a flavour of the degree subject but can also be your first step towards a degree qualification.
If you enjoy this course you can apply to join the program it’s part of to start working towards a degree on FutureLearn.
Don’t worry, you can still take the course without doing a full degree!