What topics will you cover?
Week 1: King Henry VIII and Hampton Court Palace
- The Tudor kitchens at Hampton Court Palace and catering to the king, his court and servants.
- The celebrations and christening of Edward VI.
- Henry’s expanding waistline and the science behind his assumed, heavy protein diet.
Week 2: Elizabeth I and the Tower of London
- Palace or a prison? Elizabeth I’s relationship with the Tower.
- The expansion of Elizabeth’s empire, discovery of new worlds, exotic foods and their influence on eating habits.
- Surviving or thriving; life as a prisoner at the Tower, and some daring escapes.
- Sir Walter Raleigh; his life as a prisoner in the Tower, experimenting with herbal plants, including his Great Cordial recipe.
Week 3: George I at Hampton Court Palace
- How chocolate came to be an integral part of the English court and why George I had his own chocolate maker.
- Lavish entertainments using chocolate to showcase kingship and wealth.
- The science of chocolate.
Week 4: George III at Kew Palace
- The Royal Kitchens at Kew Palace and how it catered for the Royal family.
- George III; flamboyance versus frugality
- The mad king. George’s medical treatment and the food he ate following his first bout of mental illness.
Week 5: Victoria and Kensington Palace
- Young Victoria and the celebrations in 1836 when she turned 17.
- The rise of the middle class queen. New technology and the Victorian food revolution.
- Victoria’s eating habits and her favourite foods.
- The democratisation of tea and cake.
Get extra benefits, upgrade this course. For $54 you’ll get:
Upgrading will mean you get unlimited access to the course.
If you’re taking a course for free you have access to the course for its duration + 14 days, regardless of when you join. If you upgrade the course you have access for as long as the course exists on FutureLearn.
A Certificate of Achievement
Upgrading means you’ll receive a Certificate of Achievement when you complete the course.
To receive a Certificate of Achievement you need to mark 90% of the steps on the course as complete.
Share this course
Use the hashtag #FLRoyalFood to join and contribute to social media conversations about this course