Extending your horizons
In the earlier step ‘Subjects – broaden your horizons’, we looked at how the courses on offer in higher education extend far beyond the typical school subject choices. In this step, we are giving you an activity to help you get familiar with the UCAS website and find out more about a subject you have not studied before.
We will start by looking at one with you.
Student A: looking for an eventful career
Student A is interested in studying events management after completing her school studies.
In discussions with her personal tutor, she explains that she has already gained some experience through her cousin, a wedding planner, and also by working as a volunteer steward at the Champions League final at Cardiff Millennium Stadium in 2017. For family reasons, she wants to stay in Wales, and ideally in Cardiff for her uni course.
Task: We are going to use the UCAS website to identify two things:
How many universities or colleges in Cardiff, Wales offer honours degree courses in ‘events management’ (either as a single honours or in combination with other subjects).
Whether any of these universities or colleges offer a degree with a paid work placement (a ‘sandwich’ year).
We need to start by opening the UCAS search tool. Click here to link open UCAS course search.
Tip: Open the search tool in a new browser window.
- In the search tool, select the option for ‘courses’ in the first filter in the top search bar.
- Then select Undergraduate in the middle of the search bar.
- Then enter ‘events management’ as the keywords and hit enter or click on the search icon to the right hand side of the search bar.
- Now you need to scroll down the results to the ‘Which location would you like to study in’ filter, and select ‘Wales’.
- If you click on the ‘Map view’ at the top of the page, it is easy to see that there is a provider in Cardiff offering events management courses - click on the red pin, and you’ll see it’s Cardiff Metropolitan University.
- If you click on ‘See more courses’ box, you can see all the Events Management courses at Cardiff Metropolitan University.
- You can also see that the university does offer an honours degree in Events Management with a Sandwich year.
In the next step, we have set some activities for you to explore other subjects.