This course is part of the Social Media Marketing ExpertTrack
Social Media Marketing: Organic and Paid Social Media
Learn the best practices for using both organic and paid social media to help drive engagement and meet your objectives.
Weekly study4 hours
100% onlineHow it works
Included in an ExpertTrackCourse 3 of 4
Get full ExpertTrack access$39/monthFind out more
Social Media Marketing: Organic and Paid Social Media
Take a deep dive into social media platforms alongside specialists
All social media platforms allow you to build an organic audience through sharing content and using advertising to help you reach new and bigger audiences more quickly. But knowing where to focus your attention can feel overwhelming.
This two-week course explores the fundamentals of organic and paid-for social media and will equip you with the knowledge to take a best practice approach to their use.
Learn how to navigate the organic and paid social media landscapes
You’ll discover the difference between organic and paid-for social media and how they work across the main platforms. You’ll also understand how they impact each other and how they can work together. This will help you decide where to focus your time, effort, and spend.
Explore the organic and paid-for features of social channels
As well as introducing you to the fundamentals, you’ll also explore each of the major social channels’ different organic and paid-for options. From TikTok to Twitter, Instagram to YouTube, plus forums and podcasts, you’ll find out how they could work as part of your overall digital marketing strategy.
Build your social media algorithm expertise
Algorithms are sets of rules that decide what content your audiences see and don’t see on social platforms. This course will give you in-demand knowledge of how they work and how they impact the visibility and reach of your content.
You’ll discover how to create both organic and paid-for content that works with algorithms, aligns with your objectives, and reaches your audience.
Designed by digital marketing experts, Target Internet with The Open University
You’ll learn with Daniel Rowles, CEO - Target Internet, who will share his vast expertise gained from working with brands including the BBC, Sony, Tesco, Vodafone, Mercedes, L’Oreal and Warner Bros.
What topics will you cover?
- Understanding the differences between organic and paid social media
- The benefits and limitations of organic social media
- The benefits and limitations of paid social media
- Organic and paid social media working together
- The key organic vs. paid features of the most popular social channels
Prove you're job ready
Highlight the new, job-relevant skills you’ve gained and supplement existing qualifications with a hard-earned, industry-specific digital certificate – plus one for every course within your ExpertTrack.
- Learn the latest in your chosen industry or subject.
- Complete each course and pass assessments.
- Receive certificates validated by the educating organisation.
- Impress employers with learning outcomes you can add to your CV.
- Make your career dreams a reality.
Download a PDF
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Identify when to use organic vs. paid social media
- Demonstrate how paid and organic social media can work together
- Apply best practice to using each social media channel with both an organic and paid approach
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for anyone who would like to increase their awareness and understanding of social media marketing. You don’t need any prior knowledge, although any work experience will help contextualise and enhance your learning.
Who will you learn with?
MD TargetInternet.com - helping upskill the world's leading organisations in Digital Marketing & Digital Transformation.
Host of the Digital Marketing Podcast, a global top 20 business podcast.
Who developed the course?
LocationMilton Keynes, UK
World rankingTop 510Source: Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2020
Target Internet delivers digital training to some of the world’s leading organisations, as well as building online learning that is used in over 100 countries worldwide. As publishers of the global Digital Marketing Skills Benchmark and the Digital Marketing Podcast, they have unrivalled access to market insights and expertise.
Start learning today - free 7-day trial
After your free trial you can:
- Pay $39 per month to keep learning online
- Have complete control over your subscription; you can cancel any time
- Work at your own pace and set your own deadlines at every stage
- Only pay while you’re learning; the subscription will cancel automatically when you finish
- Complete online assessments to test your knowledge and prove your skills
- Earn digital course certificates and a final award that you can share online, with potential employers, and your professional network
- Keep access to the content of courses you complete even after your subscription ends
Learning on FutureLearn
Your learning, your rules
- Courses are split into weeks, activities, and steps to help you keep track of your learning
- Learn through a mix of bite-sized videos, long- and short-form articles, audio, and practical activities
- Stay motivated by using the Progress page to keep track of your step completion and assessment scores
Join a global classroom
- Experience the power of social learning, and get inspired by an international network of learners
- Share ideas with your peers and course educators on every step of the course
- Join the conversation by reading, @ing, liking, bookmarking, and replying to comments from others
Map your progress
- As you work through the course, use notifications and the Progress page to guide your learning
- Whenever you’re ready, mark each step as complete, you’re in control
- Complete 90% of course steps and all of the assessments to earn your certificate
Want to know more about learning on FutureLearn? Using FutureLearn