Ever wanted to write a song, but not known how?
This course will introduce you to the tools and techniques you need to write your first song.
Each week, using specially-commissioned lyrics, we’ll build up a song and encourage you to do the same. World-renowned musician, Martin Simpson, will use the same words and techniques and we’ll check in with him each week for inspiration and guidance on the songwriting process.
We’ll also talk to experts in music and psychology as well as established musicians and songwriters to find out what makes a song successful.
What topics will you cover?
- Setting words to music
- Time and pitch
- Working with melody
- Chords and chord progressions
- Song forms
- Arranging your song
When would you like to start?
Most FutureLearn courses run multiple times. Every run of a course has a set start date but you can join it and work through it after it starts. Find out more
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Set words to rhythm using the concepts of metre and scansion.
- Identify the ingredients of an effective melody.
- Describe the different chord types and progressions used in popular songs.
- Explain the most commonly used song forms and structures.
- Explore how songs can develop when different lines and instruments are added to the accompaniment.
- Combine these fundamental musical elements to come up with a song of your own.
Who is the course for?
Whether you’re a complete novice who has never written a song in their life, a budding amateur looking to develop further skills or an accomplished professional brushing up on the basics, this course will deliver comprehensive practical and theoretical knowledge to help set you on your path.
While it will be useful to have access to a musical instrument this is not a requirement, you can participate in the course just using your voice or with freely available music software.
See all FutureLearn Reviews
Join this course
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
for one year
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
Do you know someone who’d love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #FLSong to talk about this course on social media.