- Duration3 weeks
- Weekly study3 hours
- Extra BenefitsFrom $59
Teaching Primary Science: Human Spaceflight
Take your pupils into orbit by using space for primary science learning
From knowing the properties and uses of the materials required for an astronaut’s spacesuit to having an understanding of diet and exercise in order to keep an astronaut healthy–human spaceflight is a rich context for learning.
On this course, you will learn how keeping humans alive in space and how our view of the Earth from space can be linked to the primary curriculum.
You will discover a variety of topics in the primary science curriculum where you can use the theme of space to engage pupils, including the STEM subjects and cross-curricular links to numeracy and literacy.
Share ideas on how to use context to engage pupils. Get access to classroom resources and activities that develop practical skills and support working scientifically.
- exercise and healthy eating
- properties and uses of materials
- further cross curricular opportunities, including geography, literacy, maths
- careers in STEM and in particular the space industry
During the course you’ll build a curriculum plan, using the activities and resources provided to consider where space could be used as a context for learning. Completion of this course can be used as evidence for the Space Education Quality Mark in the UK.
When would you like to start?
Start straight away and learn at your own pace. If the course hasn’t started yet you’ll see the future date listed below.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Identify opportunities across the curriculum to use space as a context for learning.
- Engage children in practical activities using the context of human spaceflight.
- Design lessons that show science in an applied context.
- Identify careers that link in to the space industry.
- Contribute to shared resources that use space as a context.
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for primary school teachers of pupils aged 7-11 years old.
Join this course
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
for one year
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
Do you know someone who’d love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #FLSTEMPrimarySpace to talk about this course on social media.