Weekly study3 hours
100% onlineLearn at your own pace
Included in an ExpertTrackCourse 3 of 4
Get full ExpertTrack access$39/month
Volunteering in the Classroom: Communication Skills for STEM Volunteers
Improve your communication skills and confidence volunteering with young people
Discover the skills and techniques needed for good communication in the classroom when delivering a science, technology, engineering and maths (STEM) activity.
Covering both verbal and non-verbal communication, this training will develop your confidence as a volunteer. You’ll learn practical communication skills and strategies to use whether you’re delivering a classroom activity for a STEM subject or volunteering with young people in another setting.
Identify good communication skills when volunteering with children
Improve both your verbal and non-verbal communication with this training which will get you thinking about what you say and how you say it.
We look at the way your communication style impacts the delivery of STEM activities and identify what good communication in the classroom looks like. You’ll consider introductions and how to make a good first impression, and look at techniques such as questioning that will help you make your lesson more engaging.
By the end of the course, you will have a better idea of how you can communicate more effectively with young people to get them interested in STEM subjects.
Become a more effective volunteer when delivering classroom activities.
Put your new-found communication skills into practice when preparing and leading STEM activities.
This course will boost your confidence and encourage you to use the new practical techniques you have learned to engage young people in STEM lessons.
It will also help you consider additional questions, such as the lasting impression you leave and what you want young people to remember from your sessions.
This two-week, self-paced course will cover:
- Active listening and an introduction to questioning for learning.
- Non-verbal communication and running a room.
- Starting, delivering and finishing a practical activity with young people.
Highlight the new, job-relevant skills you’ve gained and supplement existing qualifications with a hard-earned, industry-specific digital certificate – plus one for every course within your ExpertTrack.
- Learn the latest in your chosen industry or subject.
- Complete each course and pass assessments.
- Receive certificates validated by the educating organisation.
- Impress employers with learning outcomes you can add to your CV.
- Make your career dreams a reality.
Download a PDF
Learning on this course
You can take this self-guided course and learn at your own pace. On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Demonstrate effective verbal and non-verbal communication with young people.
- Demonstrate appropriate use of presentation, collaboration and discussion techniques to inspire young people to continue with STEM subjects or STEM careers.
- Develop their confidence, skills and ability to do practical activities with young people.
Who is the course for?
This course has been created for anyone volunteering with young people in STEM. You may be part of a formal volunteering scheme and be known as a STEM champion or STEM ambassador, or you may be a youth volunteering group organiser, field trip educator, working with scout groups (and similar), outdoor pursuit centres, outreach from NGOs.
You will need knowledge of STEM subjects or experience of working in a STEM environment.
To get the most out of this course, learners should complete the following two courses first:
This course is not designed for teachers. Please see other courses from STEM Learning for teacher professional development in STEM subjects.
- Pay $39 per month to keep learning online
- Have complete control over your subscription; you can cancel any time
- Work at your own pace and set your own deadlines at every stage
- Only pay while you’re learning; the subscription will cancel automatically when you finish
- Complete online assessments to test your knowledge and prove your skills
- Earn digital course certificates and a final award that you can share online, with potential employers, and your professional network
- Keep access to the content of courses you complete even after your subscription ends
Learner reviews cannot be loaded due to your cookie settings. Please and refresh the page to view this content.