Learn how to move into the digital and IT sector, and discover the career opportunities available in this fast-growing industry.
Weekly study2 hours
Step into Digital Technologies
Other courses you might like
This course isn't running right now. We can email you when it starts again, or check out these other courses you might like.
Prepare for your digital and IT career switch
Are you considering a move into the digital sector? With advertised roles in digital tech growing 36% in the UK since June 2020, now is a great time to enter the industry.
On this short course, you’ll explore the opportunities available in digital and IT, and how you can utilise and build upon your existing skills to start your career.
Created with employer insights, this course will prepare you for work in the digital industry.
Discover the different job roles in the digital industry
You’ll identify the key responsibilities within the digital and IT sector, and be introduced to in-demand jobs including those in digital technology and cyber security.
You’ll focus on the actionable steps you can take to enter the industry and explore career progression routes you may want to pursue.
Gain a digital credential from City & Guilds
At the end of the course, you will be invited to test your knowledge and, if you pass, gain a digital credential from City & Guilds to prove your learning.
Get access to learning opportunities and then jobs
You can use your digital credential to access learning opportunities to help you develop the technology and professional skills you need to work in the digital and IT sector.
This includes IBM’s global learning portal, SkillsBuild, which offers a wide range of courses on digital, from many different leading providers. Here you can earn further credentials, which you can add to your CV, and get additional support and mentoring to help you start an exciting new career in digital and IT.
What topics will you cover?
- What is digital?
- Evolving roles and evolving opportunities
- Essential skills and further training opportunities
- Becoming a digital problem solver
- Exploring different opportunities
- The digital support professional
- The digital networking expert
- Your best personal and professional fit
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Identify whether a career in digital technologies is for you
- Discuss and understand key myths (and jargon) from the digital sector
- Evaluate the key knowledge, skills and behaviours that employers are looking for from entrants to the sector
- Reflect on which skills you need to personally and professionally develop
- Explore current opportunities within a range of digital technology disciplines
- Reflect which discipline within the digital technologies domain is the best potential personal fit
Who is the course for?
This course is for anyone considering a career in digital and IT. It will introduce you to the sector and help you learn about the most in-demand jobs and progression opportunities available in the industry to those eligible to work in the UK.
Who will you learn with?
Enthusiastic about teaching digital, network engineering & cybersecurity - been doing it for a very long time. Also: iconoclast, herder of geeks, nerds & enthusiasts.
Learning on FutureLearn
Your learning, your rules
- Courses are split into weeks, activities, and steps to help you keep track of your learning
- Learn through a mix of bite-sized videos, long- and short-form articles, audio, and practical activities
- Stay motivated by using the Progress page to keep track of your step completion and assessment scores
Join a global classroom
- Experience the power of social learning, and get inspired by an international network of learners
- Share ideas with your peers and course educators on every step of the course
- Join the conversation by reading, @ing, liking, bookmarking, and replying to comments from others
Map your progress
- As you work through the course, use notifications and the Progress page to guide your learning
- Whenever you’re ready, mark each step as complete, you’re in control
- Complete 90% of course steps and all of the assessments to earn your certificate
Want to know more about learning on FutureLearn? Using FutureLearn
Learner reviews cannot be loaded due to your cookie settings. Please and refresh the page to view this content.