Transferable skills and experience
Social care workers need different skills and knowledge, but you will probably already possess a number of them.
Watch this video to see what people who receive care services think makes a great social care worker.
This is an additional video, hosted on YouTube.
Now consider the following skills and qualities, and whether you possess any of them already:
- Able to communicate easily with others
- Able to get on with different people easily
- Able to speak more than one language
- Able to drive (essential for some work)
- Good listener
- Patient and not easily flustered
- Able to work independently
- Good team player
- Good sense of humour
- Not easily put off by smells, sights or mess
- Able to deal with behaviour that you might find challenging
- Able to cope with the unexpected
- Able to organise and structure your work
- Able to keep records of your work
- Able to work under pressure.
If you can tick off any (or all) of these then social care work may well be the right career for you.
Choose a few qualities from the list that you think you already possess, and share your reasons why in the Comments below.