Successfully apply your skills to become a great social care worker
Discover how your skills and talents might make you the perfect fit for a social care career, and get careers advice on how to search for a job and ace an interview.
This course has been created with employers in mind – alongside world-leading skills development specialists at City & Guilds – meaning you’ll come away with the tools and knowledge you need to apply for work in social care.
Decide if a social care career is right for you
There are currently over 100,000 social care job vacancies in the UK alone. There is a unique opportunity for people to transfer their experience and talents into a growing sector – since 2009, the number of adult social care jobs have increased by 22%.
On this course, you’ll complete a self-assessment to find out if social care work is right for you, and the transferable skills you possess that might make you attractive to social care employers.
You’ll learn about the attitudes and behaviours employers are looking for, and how to showcase your drive to work in social care, helping your application to stand out.
Gain a digital credential from City & Guilds
With renowned skills experts at City & Guilds, you’ll explore why safety and safeguarding are crucial for employers, carers, and those being cared for, and identify core social care roles and responsibilities.
You’ll leave with a digital credential from City & Guilds that you can use to prove your training and start searching for job opportunities, armed with the learning you need to support your transition into an exciting new career.
Step into Social Care is sponsored by Nesta as part of the Rapid Recovery Challenge, and so is available for free to individuals for a limited time. The Rapid Recovery Challenge is all about improving access to jobs and helping the UK recover from Covid-19.
- What makes a great social care worker?
- Roles and career opportunities in social care
- Utilising your skills and experience so far
- Job opportunities in social care
When would you like to start?
Start straight away and learn at your own pace. If the course hasn’t started yet you’ll see the future date listed below.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Identify whether social care is for you
- Describe key social care settings, employers and regulators in the UK
- Identify key social care roles and their responsibilities
- Describe the role of safety and safeguarding for employers, carers, and those being cared for
- Summarise the core values and behaviours fundamental to the social care sector
- Identify existing skills and experience for roles in the social care sector
- Develop the skills to search for a job and prepare for an interview
Who is the course for?
This course is for anyone currently considering a career in social care – it will introduce you to the social care sector and help you decide if working in social care is for you. This course will allow you to consider all employment and progression opportunities available in social care.
City & Guilds Group are offering everyone who joins this course a free digital upgrade, so that you can experience the full benefits of studying online for free. This means that you get: