Weekly study3 hours
Supporting Successful Learning in Secondary School
Improve the support you provide to students' learning in secondary school
Engaging young people in the classroom can be a challenge for teachers and teaching assistants. Secondary school students often learn differently to younger students. This can require a different teaching approach.
On this course, you will learn how to support effective learning experiences in secondary schools, exploring the different ways secondary school students learn. You will also reflect on your own values and biases to improve your confidence and working practice.
By the end of the course you should feel more confident in your ability to support secondary school students.
Week 1 theme: You and others
- An introduction to values, beliefs and attitudes.
- Understanding the unconscious bias
- Looking at your own biases and reflecting upon them
- Reflecting on your own values
Week 2: How people learn
- An introduction to how people learn
- Exploring a student’s view of their environment through their eyes, as well as hearing about their world views
- Looking at the expectations we have of students
- Building on what students know and what they should know
Week 3: The environment for learning
- An introduction to the learning environment and what it consists of
- Exploring misconceptions about managing a classroom and finding out what teaching is like in reality
- Understanding the psychology behind primary and secondary behaviours
Week 4: Communication, language and literacy
- Introduction to aspects of communication within teaching
- Learners to take part in activities that include communicating and listening
- Exploring the importance of asking the right question
- Share examples of good practice
- How to plan effective questions for the classroom.
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Demonstrate knowledge and confidence to work more effectively in supporting and teaching at secondary level.
- Apply the course as a tool for teaching and classroom support.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the advice available to consider teaching as a career.
Who is the course for?
This course is ideal for teaching assistants in secondary schools. It will also be of interest to teachers returning to work, newly qualified teachers, unqualified staff, as well as providing a refresher for current teachers. Parents of children in schools may also find this course useful in helping them to support and encourage their children’s learning.
This course focusses on teaching in secondary schools. If you work in a primary school, you may like to join Supporting Successful Learning in Primary Schools.
Learner reviews cannot be loaded due to your cookie settings. Please and refresh the page to view this content.
Learners who joined this course have also enjoyed these courses.