Skip to 0 minutes and 6 seconds I’m Charles Egbu. And I’m the Dean of School of the Built Environment and Architecture at London South Bank University, London, United Kingdom. Almost everything we do relates around sustainability. It’s about the way we work and the way we live our lives and what that means to the society. It’s about responsibility of what we do for now and for the future. And I very much welcome and encourage you to be part and parcel of this course. In this course, you will learn much more about our sustainability from a theoretical and practical point of view. It’s about you and the society you are part of. I hope you enjoy the course.
Sustainable Construction and Development
Explore sustainability in the built environment
In the face of the climate crisis, we must ensure that our activities today, and the society we are a part of, do not compromise future generations’ ability to meet their own needs. Sustainable development is one way we can recognise our responsibility for the future and act with better intent.
On this five-week course, you’ll learn about the obligations and actions that impact sustainable development in the built environment.
Exploring the need for environmental, economic, and social sustainability, you’ll discover the implications this has on the construction industry and learn the best practices from successful sustainability initiatives.
Unpack environmental sustainability and the green building solution
You’ll delve into environmental sustainability, understanding what it is and how it relates to the construction industry.
With this knowledge, you’ll be able to explore the environmental implications of built assets as well as potential solutions such as green building.
Discover the barriers and tools to achieve economic sustainability
Next, you’ll explore economic sustainability and how it can help support long-term growth without negatively impacting future generations.
You’ll unpack the barriers to economic sustainability before learning how to navigate these challenges with tools and techniques such as sustainable project management.
Understand social sustainability
Finally, you’ll unpack social responsibility and its role within the built environment. You’ll explore issues such as equality, diversity, and exploitation to understand how to minimise an organisation’s impact on people.
By the end of the course, you’ll have the knowledge and skills to implement sustainability in the construction industry to help build a better future.
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Demonstrate understanding of the complexities of sustainability from generic and project specific perspectives, and the obligations of stakeholders.
- Evaluate the environmental considerations of sustainability and their implications on construction processes and practices
- Evaluate economic considerations of sustainability and their implications on construction processes and practices.
- Evaluate social considerations of sustainability and their implications on construction processes and practices.
- Demonstrate knowledge of lessons learned from good practices of sustainability initiatives, and better understand how these could be implemented in projects.
- Explain the nature of the task of attaining sustainability in the built environment in future, considering the most likely future scenario of the sustainable development agenda.
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for anyone interested in sustainable construction and development.
It may be of particular interest if you are working in, or studying, construction and the wider built environment.
Learner reviews cannot be loaded due to your cookie settings. Please and refresh the page to view this content.
Get a taste of this course
Find out what this course is like by previewing some of the course steps before you join:
Learners who joined this course have also enjoyed these courses.