Explore online teaching with this practical course for educators designed in response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Weekly study2 hours
How To Teach Online: Providing Continuity for Students
Other courses you might like
This course isn't running right now. We can email you when it starts again, or check out these other courses you might like.
Discover practical ways to teach and support your students online
As the coronavirus pandemic spreads, there has been an increasing move towards teaching online as schools and universities shut.
Even for experienced practitioners, this situation presents challenges. However, with the right knowledge, you can overcome the hurdles presented by teaching online and embrace its possibilities.
On this course, you’ll be given practical steps towards online teaching and student support. You can reflect on your own work, adapt your approaches, and share your stories with a global community of educators who’ll help you to get started and keep going in uncertain times.
What topics will you cover?
- Getting started with online teaching
- Preparing your students for successful online learning
- Using tools designed for creating, sharing and re-mixing plans for learning
- Building and sharing a library of learning designs as a community of teachers
- Bringing lessons learned from teaching online into your everyday practice
- Collecting and responding to student feedback
- Reflecting on how we teach online and making iterative improvements
- Navigating the personal impact of teaching and learning online
When would you like to start?
Date to be announced
Add to Wishlist to be emailed when new dates are announced
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Develop plans to set your students up for success
- Create and share approaches and techniques for maintaining continuity while moving teaching and learning online
- Discuss the benefits and challenges of moving classes from face-to-face to online
- Identify techniques and approaches for engaging your students online
- Adapt your practice to the online context
- Collect, review and evaluate student feedback on your new approaches
- Discuss how to manage the personal impact of teaching online
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for educators, teachers, lecturers, and trainers who have to rapidly move from face-to-face to online teaching in response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Who will you learn with?
She/Her. I'm FutureLearn's Learning Design Lead. I empower people to build relevant, useful and engaging online learning experiences. I'm also interested in technology, languages, nature and food :)
I'm a Learning Designer completing a PhD investigating online learning in the global South, and my research site is Dili, Timor-Leste.
Learning Designer at FutureLearn. Interested in the stories we tell, how we tell them, and why. Pronouns they/them/their.
FutureLearn are offering everyone who joins this course a free digital upgrade, so that you can experience the full benefits of studying online for free. This means that you get:
Learning on FutureLearn
Your learning, your rules
- Courses are split into weeks, activities, and steps to help you keep track of your learning
- Learn through a mix of bite-sized videos, long- and short-form articles, audio, and practical activities
- Stay motivated by using the Progress page to keep track of your step completion and assessment scores
Join a global classroom
- Experience the power of social learning, and get inspired by an international network of learners
- Share ideas with your peers and course educators on every step of the course
- Join the conversation by reading, @ing, liking, bookmarking, and replying to comments from others
Map your progress
- As you work through the course, use notifications and the Progress page to guide your learning
- Whenever you’re ready, mark each step as complete, you’re in control
- Complete 90% of course steps and all of the assessments to earn your certificate
Want to know more about learning on FutureLearn? Using FutureLearn
Learner reviews cannot be loaded due to your cookie settings. Please and refresh the page to view this content.
Get a taste of this course
Find out what this course is like by previewing some of the course steps before you join:
Do you know someone who'd love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #FLteachonline to talk about this course on social media.