Summary of the course
This week, Beverley and Alex have helped you to explore the topic of stem cells. You’ve also considered the importance of prior learning in biology when developing a teaching and learning progression, and how you might support students who struggle to make connections.
You’ve seen how practicals can provide first-hand experience of this topic, considered how concept maps can help students to visualise links with other topics to promote meaningful learning.
Over the course you have addressed these learning outcomes:
- Modify your scheme of work to incorporate a greater variety of contexts using plants.
- Identify opportunities to challenge and address students’ misconceptions in biology.
- Explore the use of plants for teaching key biological principles.
- Improve your subject knowledge in plant science.
- Collaborate with peers, educators and mentors to share and critique ideas for teaching practical science.
Now you have created your action plan, you’ll have a clearer idea of how to take your learning from this course and your professional development forward.
This course has been co-developed with Science and Plants for Schools. Take a look at their secondary resources and subject knowledge materials to further your understanding and your students’ engagement with plant science.
© National STEM Learning Centre