- Duration4 weeks
- Weekly study2 hours
Teaching English: How to Plan a Great Lesson
This course isn't running right now. We can email you when it starts again, or check out these other courses you might like.
Gain new teaching skills and practices to put towards your CPD
By learning to develop a great lesson, English language teachers give students the best opportunity to retain what they’ve learnt. On this course, you will look at four professional practices, share your own teaching experiences, and apply what you’ve learnt to your CPD.
You will learn to understand your students and build a rapport with them. You will explore the key factors to remember when planning lessons and courses, including using resources like technology and flashcards. You will also learn how to manage the lesson and keep your students engaged with your teaching methods.
- Learner motivation.
- Building rapport.
- Getting learners talking.
Planning lessons and courses
- Why and how do teachers plan lessons and courses.
- What are the key factors to consider?
- Identifying aims and stages in your own and others’ lessons.
- Making the most of the resources available to you.
- The role of technology.
- Using flashcards and realia.
- Boardwork, sharing resources with others.
Managing the lesson
- Factors that influence learning.
- Teacher language and the use of L1.
- Pair and group work.
- Engaging learners.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Compare teaching approaches and experience with others from around the world.
- Reflect on the factors involved in learner motivation and consider the implications for our teaching practice.
- Identify and value diversity, and apply strategies to promote inclusive education.
- Reflect on your approach to lesson planning and the factors that inform your planning decisions.
- Interpret other teachers' approaches and decision making.
- Identify appropriate teaching resources and assess their effectiveness.
Who is the course for?
This course is for English language teachers worldwide in any setting at primary, secondary, or higher levels.
Learner reviews cannot be loaded due to your cookie settings. Please enable all cookies and refresh the page to view this content.