Discover inspiring ways to improve literacy using film
Recent research has shown film can be a powerful tool to help improve children’s reading and writing. It can also be used to develop a range of abilities - decoding, inference and analysis - as well as expanding creativity and improving vocabulary. In this online course, you’ll find out how you can help your students learn with film, with advice and insights from film education experts from the British Film Institute (BFI) and film education charity Into Film.
What topics will you cover?
- How to analyse film using key frameworks
- How to use film clips as a catalyst for extended writing
- How to create strong narratives through story mountains and storyboarding
- How to use basic filmmaking as a tool for attainment
- How to use basic filmmaking as a tool for assessment
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for educators who would like to improve their student’s reading and writing, although parents or anyone with an interest in developing young people’s literacy will also benefit from the approaches that are explored throughout the course.
Get a taste of this course
Find out what this course is like by previewing some of the course steps before you join:
Do you know someone who’d love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #FLFilmliteracy to talk about this course on social media.