Help your primary students to excel in primary school physics
To teach primary science effectively teachers must have sound subject knowledge. However, many primary teachers are not science subject experts.
On this course, you’ll examine the key subject knowledge areas within the physics element of the primary science curriculum.
You’ll develop your own knowledge of physics and discover practical activities to use in your classroom to explain physics concepts to your students.
You’ll also consider common misconceptions children may have and how to identify and help your students overcome them.
What topics will you cover?
- Why good subject knowledge is essential when teaching primary science.
- Developing subject knowledge for the physics in the primary science.
- Understanding children’s misconceptions and identifying teaching strategies to identify and overcome them.
- Topics covered include: forces, electricity, light.
When would you like to start?
Most FutureLearn courses run multiple times. Every run of a course has a set start date but you can join it and work through it after it starts. Find out more
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Identify the importance of good subject knowledge when teaching primary science.
- Develop personal subject knowledge of physics.
- Apply subject knowledge of physics to class teaching of pupils aged 5-11 years old.
- Explore practical activities to teach scientific concepts in the primary curriculum.
- Identify common misconceptions children may have in primary science concepts.
- Develop teaching strategies to identify and overcome children’s misconceptions.
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for primary teachers and trainee teachers for primary education (pupils aged 5-11 years).
It will also be useful for teaching assistants looking to develop their physics subject knowledge.
The English National curriculum will be referred to, but teachers will be able to apply what they learn to their own curricula.
Join this course
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
for one year
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
Do you know someone who’d love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #FLSTEMPrimaryScience to talk about this course on social media.