Skip to 0 minutes and 13 secondsIn autosomal recessive inheritance, an affected individual has a mutation in both copies of a gene pair. Where an individual only has one mutation in the pair, they are unaffected and are a carrier for the condition. If those parents are carriers for an autosomal recessive condition, they have a 25%, or one in four, chance of a child inheriting both mutated gene copies and being affected, a 50% chance of a child inheriting only one mutated copy and being a healthy carrier like the parents, and a 25% chance of the child inheriting neither mutated copy and being unaffected.

Skip to 0 minutes and 48 secondsThe things that might make you suspect an autosomal recessive condition in the family are that males and females have the condition in roughly equal proportions and that people with the condition are usually in one sibship in one generation. In addition, autosomal recessive conditions are more common amongst consanguineous families, where both parents have one or more ancestors in common. This increases the chance that a condition presenting in a child of theirs might be due to recessive inheritance. The commonest autosomal recessive condition in northern Europe is cystic fibrosis, with an incidence of around one in 2,500. Around one in 25 Caucasians are carriers. It is a disorder of the secretory glands that primarily affects the lungs and digestive tract.

Skip to 1 minute and 33 secondsWhile treatment is improving all the time for patients with CF, lung function often starts to decline in early childhood. And respiratory failure remains the most common cause of death in people who have CF.

Autosomal Recessive Inheritance

In this video, we learnt about autosomal recessive inheritance, where an affected individual has a mutation in both genes of a pair.

If an individual has a mutation in only one gene of a pair, they are a healthy carrier of the condition.

Autosomal recessive inheritance may be suspected within a family if:

  • Both males and females are affected in roughly equal proportions
  • Individuals affected with the condition are in one sibship in one generation.

Autosomal recessive genetic conditions, whilst still rare, are more likely to occur in consanguineous families where both parents have at least one ancestor in common.

An pedigree depicting autosomal recessive inheritance An example family pedigree depicting autosomal recessive inheritance

Talking point: The most common autosomal recessive condition in Northern Europe is cystic fibrosis; a disorder that results in abnormally thick mucus secretions that primarily affects the lungs and digestive tract. Can you think of other autosomal recessive conditions that are particularly prevalent amongst other ethnic groups?

If you want to know more: This Cystic Fibrosis Foundation video gives an insight into how people cope with, and manage from a young age, diseases which affect life and life expectancy.

Cystic Fibrosis Foundation - Adding Tomorrows

© Images of Cystic fibrosis and Meconium ileus courtesy of Wellcome Images

Share this video:

This video is from the free online course:

The Genomics Era: the Future of Genetics in Medicine

St George's, University of London

Get a taste of this course

Find out what this course is like by previewing some of the course steps before you join: