Before getting into the world of thermodynamics, we need to understand some basic notions and definitions.
- The thermodynamic system is any portion of space or materials defined for study. A system can be open or closed.
1. Open system: can exchange materials with surrounding
2. Closed system: does not exchange materials with surrounding
※ Isolated system: does not exchange materials and energy with surrounding
- The parameters are either extensive or intensive depending on whether they depend on the mass of the system.
1. Intensive parameters: the value does not depend on the volume(size) of system.
ex) density, temperature, pressure etc.
2. Extensive parameters: depend on the size of system.
ex) volume, mass, energy, entropy etc.
- Adiabatic: No heat transfer bewettn system and surrounding
- Diathermal: Heat can pass through