About This Course
About This Course
Thank you for joining this short online course—Time Management Strategies for Project Management course from Purdue University.
You will need approximately five to six hours to complete all learning activities in this course. At the end of this course, you will be able to :
- List the time management processes
- Identify components of the schedule management plan
- Define an activity
- Describe the transition from scope to schedule
- Explain the Precedence Diagramming Method (PDM)
- Distinguish the difference between a mandatory and discretionary dependency
- Define lags and leads
- Calculate the critical path for a project using the critical path method, including forward and backward pass
- Calculate float for each activity
- Explain why schedule compression may be necessary
- Distinguish the difference between crashing and fast tracking and the project implications of each
- Describe the difference between a schedule and target completion date
- Identify the difference between the critical chain method and the critical path method
- Define project and feeding buffers
- Define resource leveling and resource smoothing
- Determine when these two techniques are necessary
- Explain the point when a schedule is base lined
- Explain project milestones
- Create a Gantt chart with project data
- List the things that a Gantt chart can display
- List the benefits and challenges in using scheduling software
This course covers one of the ten knowledge areas in Project Management Institute (PMI)®, A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge, (PMBOK® Guide) - Fifth Edition. All learning materials you need to complete this short course are included in the online environment. The PMBOK® Guide, Fifth Edition serves as an optional secondary reading resource.
Learning Activities in This Course
There are two weeks in this course and each weekly learning content contains six to eight steps, which are lecture videos, discussions, workbooks, self-tests, and a final exam. Each week should take you no more than three hours to complete.
You will find the option to post comments on most steps. We encourage you to participate in these discussions. The more you put in, the more you will benefit from this course.
Get extra benefits, upgrade your course
You can now get extra benefits by upgrading this course, including:
Unlimited access to the course: Go at your own pace with unlimited access to the course for as long as it exists on FutureLearn.
Access to tests: Ensure you’ve mastered the material with access to tests on the course.
A Certificate of Achievement or Statement of Participation: To help you demonstrate your learning we’ll send you a Certificate of Achievement or Statement of Participation when you become eligible.
When you have read this welcome message, please click the pink “Mark as complete” button, then move on to next step using the link below.