Types of skills for training
We have established that skills are special types of abilities or techniques.
Of course, a huge variety of skills are required across different jobs. These can be broken down into:
- Sensory skills: vision, hearing, taste, smell and touch (eg wine taster, coffee taster or proofreader). Develop on the foundation of our innate abilities
- Motor skills: relating to muscular movement such as walking, running and writing (eg dancer, plasterer, landscape gardener or administrator). Develop on the foundation of our innate abilities
- Sensorimotor skills: a combination of sensory and motor (eg decorator, hairdresser or pianist)
- Social skills: interaction and communication with others (eg sales rep, negotiator, bar staff or receptionist)
- Cognitive skills: analysis and evaluation of information (eg speech writer, computer analyst or lecturer)
Think back to the situation at Dekka Cakes & Bakes. What types of skills will need to be developed by the trainer?
© Coventry University. CC BY-NC 4.0