Threats to successful training
Throughout this short course, we have been considering whether training is just a waste of time and money.
We have discussed many factors which together determine whether training is a worthwhile investment for trainees and their organisations.
In summary, these are the factors that could threaten the effectiveness of training:
- Inaccurate/incomplete training needs analysis
- Unclear organisational expectations
- Stages may be missed in initial set-up
- Trainers focus too much on theory
- Too much emphasis upon ‘having fun’ and enjoying the course
- Seen as a break from work or irrelevant to work
- May be restricted to certain levels of staff
- Insufficient post-training practice
- Lack of follow-up post-training
- Lack of motivation
- Lack of active participation
- Trainees must be debriefed
- Trainers and trainees to kept up to date with new developments
- Time to allow practice of newly-developed skills.
© Coventry University. CC BY-NC 4.0