EGFR drug design
Main concept: Turning the receptor off
Just because a signal activates the EGF receptor, it needs to be turned off as well.
But the question is ‘how’? The strategy is explained in the next figure:
- Imagine the EGF biding site of EGFR as a key-point. This key-point is localized on a door of the gateway to disease.
- This key-point is opened by a specific key (EGF).
- Once the door is open, the gateway to the disease will be cleared.
- Unusual activation of EGFR will damage our health.
- However, if this key-point is blocked by a key-like molecule, the door and gateway to the disease will be closed.
- This key-like molecule can be a drug.