Weekly study2 hours
Understanding Different Diets: Mediterranean, Baltic sea, and Okinawa
This course isn't running right now. We can email you when it starts again, or check out these other courses you might like.
Learn to make healthier diet choices by examining three different diets
Your diet can make a big difference to your health. That’s why it’s so important to consider the value of different diets from around the globe.
On this course you will explore the science and benefits of three well-known diets: the Mediterranean, Baltic sea and Okinawa diets. You will learn the main components of these diets and how to prepare simple recipes. You will also consider what makes these diets healthy, and how they affect the body. Finally you will explore environmentally sustainable diets - finding out how diets can help or harm the environment.
- Scientific backgrounds of the Mediterranean diet, the Baltic sea diet, and the Okinawa diet
- A deeper insight into each type of diet with regards to their healthy aspects
- Healthy source of proteins
- The secrets of carbohydrates and oils
- Sustainability of the Mediterranean diet, the Baltic sea diet, and the Okinawa diet
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Summarise the characteristics and benefits of the Mediterranean, Baltic and Okinawa diets
- Identify health-related properties of foods central to the three diets
- Describe the importance of healthy food frequency consumption
- Design at least one simple healthy recipe of one of the course diets
- Describe what an environmentally sustainable diet looks like (foods that improve or worsen the sustainability) and how the three example diets relate to this
- Reflect that there are many kinds of healthy diets and that these may be composed by using different foods and cultural approaches
Who is the course for?
This course is for anyone interested in maintaining a healthy diet, you don’t need any previous experience.