- Duration3 weeks
- Weekly study3 hours
- 100% onlineTry this course for free
- Extra BenefitsFrom $49
Understanding Food Labels
Get the facts you need to put your trust in the food system
Please note this course runs without facilitation
Huge amounts of information are provided on food product labels, but surveys have shown that we’re often unsure of its meaning.
On this course, you’ll learn how to make sense of the regulations, data, and logos on packaging so that you can make more informed food choices.
You’ll become more aware of what’s in the food you’re buying, the reference intakes for different people, and the nutritional value and environmental sustainability of different foods.
You’ll also gain a better understanding of food labelling regulations, as well as the claims food producers are allowed to make.
When would you like to start?
Start straight away and learn at your own pace. If the course hasn’t started yet you’ll see the future date listed below.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Interpret a typical food label - be familiar with the categories of information labels contain and why they are important.
- Explore ingredients lists and discover your recommended daily allowances.
- Compare trustworthy health claims and those inspired by marketeers.
- Collect reliable information to base your buying decisions on.
- Assess the complexities of labelling food according to production values such as sustainability and animal welfare.
- Reflect on the limitations of food labels - what they don't tell you.
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for anyone who makes food purchasing choices and wants to learn more about what goes into their food, the health benefits of what they eat and the sustainability of how it’s produced.
The Educators won’t be able to join the discussions themselves or respond to individual comments, but the course encourages a strong learning community. The learning is focused around debate and discussion – supporting other learners, sharing your own experience and knowledge, and listening to new perspectives. We hope that you will enjoy interacting with and learning from each other in this way.
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
Get a taste of this course
Find out what this course is like by previewing some of the course steps before you join:
Do you know someone who’d love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #FLfoodlabels to talk about this course on social media.