Prepare for the IELTS Reading test and improve your English reading skills with this British Council IELTS preparation course.
Weekly study3 hours
Understanding IELTS: Reading
Prepare for success in your IELTS Reading test
The four courses in the British Council’s Understanding IELTS ExpertTrack will give you a complete guide to everything you need to know as you prepare for the IELTS test.
This course focuses on the reading test. You’ll explore the format of the test and the kinds of text you need to read, and develop learning strategies to help you tackle the different task types, from multiple choice to true, false, and not given.
You’ll also look at general reading strategies that will help you cope with the kind of complex texts on unfamiliar topics that you’ll meet in your IELTS studies.
What topics will you cover?
- The format of the IELTS Reading test
- All of the task types you’ll meet in the test
- Strategies to improve your reading comprehension
- Dealing with unfamiliar vocabulary
- Time management
- What to expect on test day
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Explore the IELTS Reading test format and learn about the different kinds of text you need to read
- Develop learning strategies to help you tackle the different task types, from multiple choice to true, false, and not given
- Apply techniques that will help you cope with the kind of complex texts on unfamiliar topics that you’ll meet in your IELTS studies
- Develop confidence, learn how to improve your test performance and feel fully prepared on test day
Who is the course for?
This IELTS preparation course is aimed at anyone who wants to improve their English reading skills in preparation for the IELTS Reading test. It might also be useful for IELTS teachers. There are no formal entry requirements.
Who will you learn with?
I live and work in Bratislava and have been teaching for more than twenty-five years. I’m the Social Community Manager in charge of the British Council’s global social media channels for learners.
Hi - I'm from Britain but I live and work in Spain. I'm an English teacher, EFL materials writer and online courses coordinator.
I´m an MA (applied linguistics) qualified English language teacher who is originally from London, but now working with the British Council in Spain.
Who developed the course?
The British Council builds connections, understanding and trust between people in the UK and other countries through arts and culture, education and the English language.
We work on the ground in more than 100 countries. In 2019-20 we connected with 80 million people directly and with 791 million people overall, including online and through our broadcasts and publications.
Learning on FutureLearn
Your learning, your rules
- Courses are split into weeks, activities, and steps to help you keep track of your learning
- Learn through a mix of bite-sized videos, long- and short-form articles, audio, and practical activities
- Stay motivated by using the Progress page to keep track of your step completion and assessment scores
Join a global classroom
- Experience the power of social learning, and get inspired by an international network of learners
- Share ideas with your peers and course educators on every step of the course
- Join the conversation by reading, @ing, liking, bookmarking, and replying to comments from others
Map your progress
- As you work through the course, use notifications and the Progress page to guide your learning
- Whenever you’re ready, mark each step as complete, you’re in control
- Complete 90% of course steps and all of the assessments to earn your certificate
Want to know more about learning on FutureLearn? Using FutureLearn
Learner reviews cannot be loaded due to your cookie settings. Please and refresh the page to view this content.