What topics will you cover?
- The nature of language and language learning including discussion of what is hard and easy in second language acquisition
- Language teaching in the classroom including consideration of classrooms as communities of practice and theories about effective classroom pedagogy
- Consideration of two case studies in current teaching practice: task-based language teaching (TBLT) and content and language integrated learning (CLIL)
- Technology in language learning and teaching and the changing role of teacher and learner
- Online versus face-to-face language learning
- The use of English as a global language or lingua franca
- The historical spread of English and implications for language policy and teaching
- Definitions of English as a lingua franca (ELF), the scale of ELF use and its pros and cons
- Exploration of the work of Global Englishes researchers and invitation to join in with a research project.
Get extra benefits, upgrade this course. For $79 you’ll get:
Upgrading will mean you get unlimited access to the course.
If you’re taking a course for free you have access to the course for its duration + 14 days, regardless of when you join. If you upgrade the course you have access for as long as the course exists on FutureLearn.
A Certificate of Achievement
Upgrading means you’ll receive a Certificate of Achievement when you complete the course.
To receive a Certificate of Achievement you need to mark 90% of the steps on the course as complete.
Share this course
Use the hashtag #FLlanguage to join and contribute to social media conversations about this course