Why join the course?
Are you a graduate who’s new to the world of work? Would you like to understand some of the key trends affecting organisations today? Are you keen to think about how the workplace is likely to change in future?
This course will give you these insights, looking at four themes:
Knowledge: what does our shift towards a knowledge economy, away from manual labour, mean for both business and society?
Technology: how do organisations develop and/or use technology, and protect their intellectual property?
Ethics: does the rise of corporate social responsibility and environmental issues mean that businesses are more morally and socially responsible today?
Globalisation: how do organisations perform on the world stage and balance the global with the local?
You’ll understand the trends that are particularly forceful today and which together, determine the playing field for any organisation today and will shape the world of modern business and organisations tomorrow.
What topics will you cover?
- An initial understanding of modern business and organisations.
- Up-to-date concepts to shape understanding of the four major forces that shape the world of modern business and organisations: knowledge, technology, ethics and globalisation.
- Trigger concepts to prompt changing mind about what accepted (up-to-date) knowledge is regarding the four major sources.
- Upcoming concepts, developed in collaboration with the participants, to facilitate an open minded exploration of knowledge that is still being developed.
- Part of the content is developed based on the interest of the participants using the ‘Ask Viktor’ feature.
- Based on Henry Mintzberg, the phenomenon of the financial crisis is described as the crisis of management rather than the crisis of economics.
- Knowledge acquired in the first five weeks is applied to make sense of the financial crisis, arguing for or against Mintzberg’s position through a chosen concept from each of the four major forces that shape the world of modern business and organisations.
When would you like to start?
Who is the course for?
The course is aimed at anyone interested in understanding the world of modern business and organisations, and will be of particular interest to those who have graduated from fields other than business.
It is delivered at graduate level - this means that it is thinking-intensive and relatively complex. However, it doesn’t require specific knowledge of any particular topic, as all concepts are built up from scratch.
Some work experience in a business environment, not necessarily in a business organisation, however limited, would be beneficial.
Join this course
Do you know someone who’d love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #FLModernBiz to talk about this course on social media.