Explore how we value the natural world
There are many services that ecosystems provide that we never even consider, until we destroy them. Natural ecosystems help alleviate flooding, improve food security and protect our coastlines. Yet we consistently replace these ecosystems with manmade alternatives. If we put a price on nature, will it help us to protect these important ecosystems? And is it morally right to put a price on nature? Get answers with this course that uses an interdisciplinary approach to explore the ins and outs of how we value nature.
What topics will you cover?
Putting a monetary value on nature
- What are ecosystem services and who benefits from them?
- Environmental Economics
- How much is the Earth worth?
- Debates, dilemmas and politics
Ecosystem services in action
- Local Scale - Valuing ecosystems in your area
- Regional Scale - South-West of England
- National Scale - Coral Reefs
- International Scale - REDD+ and saving the rainforests
When would you like to start?
Most FutureLearn courses run multiple times. Every run of a course has a set start date but you can join it and work through it after it starts. Find out more
Who is the course for?
This course is for anyone interested in nature and the environment, you don’t need any past experience.
Who will you learn with?
Join this course
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
for one year
Buy Unlimited and you will get: