Discover great video game character design and how to make your own characters
From Lara Croft to Super Mario, video game characters have become part of our cultural lexicon. But what makes a great game character? And how can you create your own?
On this course, you’ll learn how gamers identify with the characters they control and interact with in-game worlds. You’ll explore anatomy, graphic design, narrative and gameplay, to provide you with a broad knowledge and understanding of the field of video game character design.
Ultimately, you’ll discover how studying human nature can help you design characters that gamers will recognise and understand.
- Narrative theory for video game characters
- Gameplay design for video game characters
- Visual design principles
- Anatomical knowledge and physical cues
- Professional insights
When would you like to start?
Date to be announced
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Develop an appreciation of how studying human nature can inform how we design characters that audiences will recognise and understand.
- Assess how fundamental visual, narrative, and game design principles can inform the development of characters.
- Develop skills in analysing and prototyping character design concepts.
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for anyone interested in game design and development. This includes those who are considering studying it at university or entering the games industry to become a developer or designer.
It will be particularly suitable for those interested in the field of character design.
Do you know someone who’d love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #FLcharacterdesign to talk about this course on social media.