Explore childcare approaches for vulnerable children
Public sector cuts have made the task of caring for vulnerable children more challenging than ever.
On this course, aspiring or in childcare careers will better understand the characteristics of different childcare approaches and possible interventions.
You’ll explore definitions of risk and vulnerability, good enough parenting, child development, and fostering meaningful relationships and attachments, examining these issues in the real-life context of budget cuts and increasing child poverty
What topics will you cover?
- What is meant and understood by the term vulnerability and risk?
- Assessing risk in various scenarios: exploring the links between poverty and risk and examine how risk is portrayed by the media and government
- Exploring theories of attachment and child development
- Examining developmental theories around the concept of containment
- Important considerations when communicating with children
- The power of touch and some of the problems associated with touch
- Elements and characteristics of child care practice
- Love and other important aspects of caring for vulnerable children?
- The challenge of caring for children in a risk averse context
- The Children’s Hearings System in Scotland explained
- Debates on the subject of care in today’s society
- Will the future bring changes in the way we care for vulnerable young people?
When would you like to start?
Most FutureLearn courses run multiple times. Every run of a course has a set start date but you can join it and work through it after it starts. Find out more
Who is the course for?
This online childcare course will be suitable if you:
- Have no direct experience of the childcare field, but want to develop your career towards it
- Have recently began a childcare career and have little experience
- Have some experience and are interested in developing your qualifications further
- Find it difficult to access childcare courses for training and development
Join this course
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
for one year
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
Do you know someone who’d love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #FLChildren to talk about this course on social media.