Weekly study4 hours
Caring for Vulnerable Children
This course isn't running right now. We can email you when it starts again, or check out these other courses you might like.
Explore childcare approaches for vulnerable children
Public sector cuts have made the task of caring for vulnerable children more challenging than ever.
On this course, aspiring or in childcare careers will better understand the characteristics of different childcare approaches and possible interventions.
You’ll explore definitions of risk and vulnerability, good enough parenting, child development, and fostering meaningful relationships and attachments, examining these issues in the real-life context of budget cuts and increasing child poverty
- What is meant and understood by the term vulnerability and risk?
- Assessing risk in various scenarios: exploring the links between poverty and risk and examine how risk is portrayed by the media and government
- Exploring theories of attachment and child development
- Examining developmental theories around the concept of containment
- Important considerations when communicating with children
- The power of touch and some of the problems associated with touch
- Elements and characteristics of child care practice
- Love and other important aspects of caring for vulnerable children?
- The challenge of caring for children in a risk averse context
- The Children’s Hearings System in Scotland explained
- Debates on the subject of care in today’s society
- Will the future bring changes in the way we care for vulnerable young people?
Date to be announced
Learning on this course
You can take this self-guided course and learn at your own pace. On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Explain the concepts of vulnerability, risk and good enough parenting
- Explore the concepts of attachment, containment and child development
- Evaluate the ways in which adults and carers can communicate with children and young people
- Explore possible ways to intervene in the lives of children and young people who are experiencing vulnerability and risk
- Reflect on the events surrounding the assessment and removal of vulnerable and at risk children and young people from their family homes
- Reflect upon some of the current challenges involved in responding to, and working with, vulnerable children and young people
Who is the course for?
This online childcare course will be suitable if you:
- Have no direct experience of the childcare field, but want to develop your career towards it
- Have recently began a childcare career and have little experience
- Have some experience and are interested in developing your qualifications further
- Find it difficult to access childcare courses for training and development
Learner reviews cannot be loaded due to your cookie settings. Please and refresh the page to view this content.