Learn about health research and explore opportunities to get involved.
Have you ever wondered how doctors and nurses know what treatment or care to give?
It’s only through health research that healthcare professionals find new and better ways of preventing, diagnosing and treating disease. Today’s research is tomorrow’s treatment.
On this course, you will learn how health research happens, why it matters and what to expect if you take part. You will also hear stories from people who have taken part in research; why they volunteered and the difference it made.
What topics will you cover?
What is the value of Health Research?
- What is research?
- Different types of research
- Why do people get involved in health research?
How can you make an informed decision about taking part?
- What can you expect?
- How are people kept safe and informed during health research?
Being part of research
- Why health research is exciting
- How can you contribute?
When would you like to start?
Most FutureLearn courses run multiple times. Every run of a course has a set start date but you can join it and work through it after it starts. Find out more
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Reflect on patient case studies to describe what is involved in health research
- Apply learning to make informed decisions on how and why you could participate in health research
- Identify the questions to ask before taking part in health research
- Identify who to contact to get more information about health research
Who is the course for?
If you’re interested in taking part in health research or discovering how to get involved in supporting health research, this course will help to answer your questions before you make the decision.
Join this course
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
for one year
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
Do you know someone who’d love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #FLHealthResearch to talk about this course on social media.