Keeping children safe
Children and teens are spending a lot more time online. Being connected can help to reduce the impact of COVID-19.
They are able to speak with friends, attend online learning and have fun but this also presents risks and certain dangers.
Risks of online use
- Adults targeting children for sexual purposes through gaming and social media
- Harmful content seen by children and young people
- Teens sharing personal information or sexual photographs or videos
- Cyber bullying by friends or strangers
How to make online use safer
- Set up parental controls and privacy settings
- Cover webcams when not in use
- Create device free time in your home and make time for other activities
Help children to understand the importance of keeping personal information private and not to share this especially with strangers, some people are not who they say they are
Remind your child what goes online stays online.
© University of East Anglia