The complete guide to IELTS preparation with advice, strategies and practice for all four parts of the test.
DurationApprox 12 weeks
3 hrs per week
CertificatesEarn course CertificatesFind out more
100% onlineLearn at your own paceHow it works
Cost$39/monthFind out more
19,466 enrolled on this ExpertTrack
Discover IELTS preparation strategies from the British Council
If you are planning to study abroad or move to another country to work or live, you may be asked to prove your English language ability with the IELTS test.
The four courses in this ExpertTrack from the British Council give you all the information and practice you need to approach all four parts of IELTS with confidence that you can achieve the band score you need.
In each of the four courses you’ll find:
- a description of each part of the test and what you have to do to achieve a good band score
- the assessment criteria that tell you what your examiner is looking for
- exam techniques to help you tackle all types of test questions
- tips and strategies for successful test preparation and for improving your English ability
- practice tests to help you know what to expect on test day
As well as that, each course looks at common problems language learners have with that language skill:
- how to give full and fluent answers to the examiner’s questions
- how to improve your confidence when speaking English
- planning a short talk in English
- finding enough to say
- improving your pronunciation
- the grammar you need for the test
- techniques like skimming and scanning to improve your test reading speed
- reading about unfamiliar topics in English
- improving your vocabulary and dealing with unknown words
- coping with time pressure
- understanding and describing charts and data
- writing about trends
- planning an essay
- the grammar and vocabulary you need
- listening test techniques
- widening your listening range
- staying focused when you listen
- listening to conversations in English
Key skills you will learn
- English speaking
- English listening
- English writing
- English proficiency
- IELTS test preparation
- English language skills
This IELTS preparation ExpertTrack is aimed at anyone who is preparing for the IELTS reading, writing, speaking, and listening tests. It might also be useful for IELTS teachers and those preparing for other English language proficiency tests.
IELTS is one of the world’s leading English tests. It is recognised by more than 10,000 organisations globally.
This ExpertTrack will be helpful for anyone preparing for IELTS. The four courses are a complete preparation for the four parts of the IELTS test. While the focus is on IELTS Academic in preparation for study, the tips, advice and strategy will also be very helpful for those preparing for the General Training test.
ExpertTrack course overview
Understanding IELTS: Reading4.9 (468 reviews)
Prepare for the IELTS Reading test and improve your English reading skills with this British Council IELTS preparation course.
3 hours per week
Understanding IELTS: Writing4.9 (489 reviews)
Find out what you need to know about the IELTS Writing test and learn techniques and strategies to improve your test performance.
3 hours per week
Understanding IELTS: Listening4.8 (610 reviews)
Find out what you need to know about the IELTS Listening test and learn techniques to improve your test performance.
3 hours per week
Understanding IELTS: Speaking4.9 (434 reviews)
Prepare for the IELTS Speaking test and improve your English speaking skills with this British Council IELTS preparation course.
3 hours per week
Prove you're job ready
Highlight the new, job-relevant skills you’ve gained and supplement existing qualifications with a hard-earned, industry-specific digital certificate – plus one for every course within your ExpertTrack.
- Learn the latest in your chosen industry or subject.
- Complete each course and pass assessments.
- Receive certificates validated by the educating organisation.
- Impress employers with learning outcomes you can add to your CV.
- Make your career dreams a reality.
Download a PDF
How ExpertTracks work
Join an ExpertTrack to master new skills in your chosen specialist area. Work through a series of topic-focused courses at your own pace, and pass the final assessment to earn a digital certificate award which proves your expertise.
Decide if the ExpertTrack is right for you with free access to the full suite of courses and assessments for a week.
Pay a monthly subscription fee of $39 for as long as it takes you to complete the ExpertTrack. You can learn at your own pace and cancel at any time.
Receive a certificate for every completed course and pass the final assessment to earn a digital certificate.
Use your specialist training to progress further in your career or build expertise in areas you’re passionate about.
World-class learning with British Council
The British Council builds connections, understanding and trust between people in the UK and other countries through arts and culture, education and the English language.
We work on the ground in more than 100 countries. In 2019-20 we connected with 80 million people directly and with 791 million people overall, including online and through our broadcasts and publications.
Meet your instructor
I´m an MA (applied linguistics) qualified English language teacher who is originally from London, but now working with the British Council in Spain.
Learning on FutureLearn
Your learning, your rules
- Courses are split into weeks, activities, and steps to help you keep track of your learning
- Learn through a mix of bite-sized videos, long- and short-form articles, audio, and practical activities
- Stay motivated by using the Progress page to keep track of your step completion and assessment scores
Join a global classroom
- Experience the power of social learning, and get inspired by an international network of learners
- Share ideas with your peers and course educators on every step of the course
- Join the conversation by reading, @ing, liking, bookmarking, and replying to comments from others
Map your progress
- As you work through the course, use notifications and the Progress page to guide your learning
- Whenever you’re ready, mark each step as complete, you’re in control
- Complete 90% of course steps and all of the assessments to earn your certificate
Want to know more about learning on FutureLearn? Using FutureLearn
What are our learners saying?
Start learning today - free 7-day trial
After your free trial you can:
- Pay $39 per month to keep learning online
- Have complete control over your subscription; you can cancel any time
- Work at your own pace and set your own deadlines at every stage
- Only pay while you’re learning; the subscription will cancel automatically when you finish
- Complete online assessments to test your knowledge and prove your skills
- Earn digital course certificates and a final award that you can share online, with potential employers, and your professional network
- Keep access to the content of courses you complete even after your subscription ends
ExpertTracks are a series of online courses designed to help you master new skills in specialist areas. You pay a monthly subscription fee which includes access to all courses within the ExpertTrack, as well as assessments and the final digital certificate.
Each ExpertTrack comes with a 7-day free trial period. You may cancel your subscription at any time and your subscription will automatically cancel when you finish the courses and assessments in your chosen ExpertTrack.
Yes. All of our ExpertTracks come with a 7-day free trial. You may claim one free trial period per ExpertTrack.
You have seven days before you will be charged your first monthly subscription fee. When you join an ExpertTrack you automatically receive a 7-day free trial period. You can cancel at any time during the trial period and no payment will be taken from your account.
Please see our full refund policy here.
No, all of our ExpertTracks consist of fully online courses. This means you can take an ExpertTrack from anywhere in the world.
No. ExpertTracks are designed for you to master new skills in a specialist area. You will earn a digital certificate that proves your learning, but it does not carry accreditation.
If you’re looking for certified or accredited courses, many of our microcredentials offer university credit or professional certification.
Have more questions about ExpertTracks? Read the ExpertTracks FAQs, or contact us.