- Reduce and prevent draughts and unexpected airflow in the area you are working (e.g. no open windows).
- Keep working surfaces cleaned with a suitable disinfectant and ensure you clean up any spills quickly.
- Prepare your working area beforehand making sure you have all necessary reagents and equipment easily to hand.
- Carry out procedures efficiently but without hurrying.
- When opening tubes or plates limit the amount of time they are open to contamination as much as possible. If you must rest a lid on the bench, make sure it is facing upwards so that the rim does not touch the surface.
- Allow liquids to settle after shaking to avoid aerosol formation.
- Take care with sterile equipment you will use to inoculate bacteriological media – for example loops, pipettes, etc. If you touch something (e.g. another surface, clothing, your own hand) other than the intended media – discard the object or re-sterilize it.
- Make sure to work with only sterile equipment and reagents and visually inspect media for potential contamination.
- Waste containers should be covered when not in use, and emptied regularly.
- Store bacterial growth plates appropriately and do not leave them out on the lab bench when not in use. Plates should be stacked no more than 10 high in the incubator (inoculated side face down), or placed in a sealed autoclave bag when ready for discard.
Bacterial Genomes: Antimicrobial Resistance in Bacterial Pathogens
Our purpose is to transform access to education.
We offer a diverse selection of courses from leading universities and cultural institutions from around the world. These are delivered one step at a time, and are accessible on mobile, tablet and desktop, so you can fit learning around your life.
We believe learning should be an enjoyable, social experience, so our courses offer the opportunity to discuss what you’re learning with others as you go, helping you make fresh discoveries and form new ideas.
You can unlock new opportunities with unlimited access to hundreds of online short courses for a year by subscribing to our Unlimited package. Build your knowledge with top universities and organisations.