- The urgent need for flexibility calls for an increase of battery storage share. To reconcile on the one hand an increased share of renewables, some intermittent, in the electricity market, with on the other hand unbalanced consumption patterns of consumers and power plant contingency issues there is an increased need for flexibility resources and solutions. Battery storage can offer this flexibility. The time has come for batteries to enter the market:
- prices have already decreased considerably
- traditional solutions are becoming comparably costlier
- batteries are a fast solution
- there are already key markets showing the way.
- There are several types of energy storage technologies Four main groups of energy storage technologies are chemical, mechanical, electrical and electrochemical storage. Battery technologies belong to the electrochemical storage group This group includes lithium-ion, lead-acid and flow batteries. Batteries are highly deployed in the electricity industry due to their valuable technical characteristics. Lithium-ion batteries are suited for a number of different applications. They are already used for different mobile and stationary applications. Flow batteries are suited for services that require both high power and energy. Lastly, lead-acid batteries are a mature and fully developed technology. They used to be utilised in a number of applications and services but are slowly overtaken by Li-ion batteries in the market.
Battery Storage Technology: Opportunities and Uses
Our purpose is to transform access to education.
We offer a diverse selection of courses from leading universities and cultural institutions from around the world. These are delivered one step at a time, and are accessible on mobile, tablet and desktop, so you can fit learning around your life.
We believe learning should be an enjoyable, social experience, so our courses offer the opportunity to discuss what you’re learning with others as you go, helping you make fresh discoveries and form new ideas.
You can unlock new opportunities with unlimited access to hundreds of online short courses for a year by subscribing to our Unlimited package. Build your knowledge with top universities and organisations.