- Visualisation can save you a lot of time, though the data displayed on the screen typically have much lower precision than the data in a database or spreadsheet.
- Visualisation can provide an effective overview of data, which would otherwise demand precious cognitive effort to build such an overview mentally.
- Overview visualisation can stimulate humans’ heuristics in selecting appropriate details for further investigation according to contextual information that computers usually do not have. For example, a specific objective, location, occasion, and any other factors obtainable only through dynamic situation awareness.
- Visualisation images can reduce the need for humans to use precious cognitive effort to remember a lot of data because visual information can typically be retrieved through a quick glance.
- Visualisation can enable rapid observation of distribution, association, clusters, anomalies, or correlations, bring unexpected patterns into the spotlight, reveal information that would otherwise remain unseen, stimulate new hypotheses, evaluate hypotheses through rapid observation of factual information, and aid humans to gain new knowledge and insight.
- Visualisation can enable humans to devote more cognitive effort to intelligent reasoning by minimising the load for memorisation, overview construction, and non-visual pattern analysis.
- Visualisation can provide engaging, expressive, and illustrative means for communicating complex information, and effective pedagogical tools in training and education.
- Like any category of tools, some visualisation techniques or systems are better designed than others. Poor visualisation can introduce biases and hinder task performance.
- Some powerful visualisation techniques, such as parallel coordinates plots, demand a fair amount of learning effort.
- Some powerful visualisation techniques, such as glyph-based visualisation, demand a joint effort from expert designers and end users.
Big Data and the Environment
Our purpose is to transform access to education.
We offer a diverse selection of courses from leading universities and cultural institutions from around the world. These are delivered one step at a time, and are accessible on mobile, tablet and desktop, so you can fit learning around your life.
We believe learning should be an enjoyable, social experience, so our courses offer the opportunity to discuss what you’re learning with others as you go, helping you make fresh discoveries and form new ideas.
You can unlock new opportunities with unlimited access to hundreds of online short courses for a year by subscribing to our Unlimited package. Build your knowledge with top universities and organisations.