BIM implementation components – Technology
‘A technological change is an increase in the efficiency of a product or process that results in an increase in output, without an increase in input. Or made it simple, someone invests or improves a product or process, which is then used to get bigger reward for the same amount of work.’(Study.com 2015)
- Is your hardware and software up to date and can it support BIM software tools?
- Can your systems handle the amount of data required to efficiently run BIM software?
- Are your computers equipped to take on higher processing speeds?
- Rendering and analysing data takes a significant amount of processing speed; are your systems frequently upgraded to take more data than they were originally intended to?
- Do you have enough storage space for large projects’ data?
- Will the large amounts of data used be secure enough yet easy to access?
Your taskShare your own experience of a new technology being introduced in your organisation or learning institute. Respond by using the following questions as a guide:
- What was the technology for and why was it introduced?
- What were three different responses people had and why did they react that way?
- If you were a new manager and had to introduce BIM in a medium size organisation, how would you do it differently from a small size enterprise of the same nature?
ReferencesStudy.com (2015) What is a Technological Change? – Definition, Advantages, Impact & Examples [online] available from https://study.com/academy/lesson/what-is-a-technological-change-definition-advantages-impact-examples.html [1 August 2018]
BIM Implementation within the AEC Industry
Our purpose is to transform access to education.
We offer a diverse selection of courses from leading universities and cultural institutions from around the world. These are delivered one step at a time, and are accessible on mobile, tablet and desktop, so you can fit learning around your life.
We believe learning should be an enjoyable, social experience, so our courses offer the opportunity to discuss what you’re learning with others as you go, helping you make fresh discoveries and form new ideas.
You can unlock new opportunities with unlimited access to hundreds of online short courses for a year by subscribing to our Unlimited package. Build your knowledge with top universities and organisations.