- Part-time work
- Work shadowing
- Transferable skills – for each position, try to give a brief description of your main duties and which skills you acquired/improved
KeywordsTry to match specific experiences in each job to the job for which you’re applying. That means you need to use keywords – words that recruiters will scan in order to match them to the job description. They will not spend much time reviewing your profile, so make sure these are clear and noticeable. Organise them to catch the eye of the recruiter with those that link most clearly to the job first.Employment Gaps
- Turn a potential weakness into a strength, for example, by stressing the skills you gained from your voluntary work overseas!
- Using years instead of months/days is perfectly acceptable.
- Honesty is the best policy. If a gap is something you’re worried about, then address it yourself. This gets it out of the way and lets you move on to your strengths.
- Write about what you did do during the gap. Learning a language. Voluntary work.
- Be positive in the way you phrase any gaps, for example, by stating that, ‘re focusing my career objectives and time frames’ sounds better than, ‘I just couldn’t find any work,’ or ‘I’ve been caring for a sick relative’ rather than, ‘Personal problems’, or ‘I had a serious illness, but I fought through it and I’m eager to work, rather than ‘I have health problems so it’s not easy for me to hold down a job.’
Net That Job: How to Write a CV Online
Our purpose is to transform access to education.
We offer a diverse selection of courses from leading universities and cultural institutions from around the world. These are delivered one step at a time, and are accessible on mobile, tablet and desktop, so you can fit learning around your life.
We believe learning should be an enjoyable, social experience, so our courses offer the opportunity to discuss what you’re learning with others as you go, helping you make fresh discoveries and form new ideas.
You can unlock new opportunities with unlimited access to hundreds of online short courses for a year by subscribing to our Unlimited package. Build your knowledge with top universities and organisations.