Women’s voices: Social supports
- Women talked about feeling isolated and invisible in motherhood, even though they had partners, family and professionals around them.
- Many women said it was difficult for them to acknowledge that they could reach out, ask for and accept help.
- For many women, the realisation that they needed to invest in their own health and wellbeing came about slowly, sometimes after several months or even longer.
- Asking for and accepting practical help with everyday responsibilities from a partner, friend or family member, not only in the weeks and early months postpartum, but also throughout motherhood, allows you to rest, have time for social activities or pursue your interests and goals.
- Getting help with practical tasks means you can seek out your emotional supports, this may be through counselling or therapy, spending time with your partner as a couple, or having a chat with someone you trust – someone who really listens to you and understands you, and can give you advice and encouragement.
Moira is the mother of a three young children. Click here to listen to her experiences of social supports after giving birth (3 minutes and 42seconds).
Blathnaid is the mother of a young baby. Click here to listen to her experiences of social supports after giving birth (2 minutes and 29 seconds).
- Do you agree or disagree with this statement? Why?
Women’s Health After Motherhood
Our purpose is to transform access to education.
We offer a diverse selection of courses from leading universities and cultural institutions from around the world. These are delivered one step at a time, and are accessible on mobile, tablet and desktop, so you can fit learning around your life.
We believe learning should be an enjoyable, social experience, so our courses offer the opportunity to discuss what you’re learning with others as you go, helping you make fresh discoveries and form new ideas.
You can unlock new opportunities with unlimited access to hundreds of online short courses for a year by subscribing to our Unlimited package. Build your knowledge with top universities and organisations.