Big ideas in science
Big Ideas of Science
- All material in the Universe is made of very small particles.
- Objects can affect other objects at a distance.
- Changing the movement of an object requires a net force to be acting on it.
- The total amount of energy in the Universe is always the same but energy can be transformed when things change or are made to happen.
- The composition of the Earth and its atmosphere and the processes occurring within them shape the Earth’s surface and its climate.
- The solar system is a very small part of one of millions of galaxies in the Universe.
- Organisms are organised on a cellular basis.
- Organisms require a supply of energy and materials for which they are often dependent on or in competition with other organisms.
- Genetic information is passed down from one generation of organisms to another.
- The diversity of organisms, living and extinct, is the result of evolution.
Big Ideas about Science
- Science assumes that for every effect there is one or more causes.
- Scientific explanations, theories and models are those that best fit the facts known at a particular time.
- The knowledge produced by science is used in some technologies to create products to serve human ends.
- Applications of science often have ethical, social, economic and political implications.
EvaluateWhat are your views of these Big Ideas? Do you feel anything is left out?
Curriculum Design for Secondary School Science
Our purpose is to transform access to education.
We offer a diverse selection of courses from leading universities and cultural institutions from around the world. These are delivered one step at a time, and are accessible on mobile, tablet and desktop, so you can fit learning around your life.
We believe learning should be an enjoyable, social experience, so our courses offer the opportunity to discuss what you’re learning with others as you go, helping you make fresh discoveries and form new ideas.
You can unlock new opportunities with unlimited access to hundreds of online short courses for a year by subscribing to our Unlimited package. Build your knowledge with top universities and organisations.