Advantages of profit maximisation
- Economic survival: Profit is vital for the survival of any business
- Measurement standard: Profits are the right measurement of the viability of a business model. In the absence of profits, the business loses its key goal and incurs a direct risk to its survival.
- Social and economic welfare: In a business, profits demonstrate proficient use and allotment of resources. Resource allocation and payments for land, labour, capital and the organisation lends itself to social and economic welfare.
Disadvantages of profit maximisation
- Time value of money is ignored: The formula is based on the idea that the higher the profit, the better the proposal, but what about its timing? In finance, when considering present value, we know that cash now won’t have the same value in the future.
- Attention not paid to risk: In the pursuit of profit, risks involved are ignored, which may prove unaffordable at times, simply because higher risk directly questions the survival of a business.
- Ignores quality: The most challenging part of profit maximisation as a goal is that it neglects the intangible benefits such as quality, image, technological advancements etc. However, the input of intangible assets in generating value for a business is not worth neglecting, as they indirectly create assets for the organisation.
Your taskDraw from your experiences regarding any work you had to make adjustments to in order to maximise profit. What were the reasons for profit maximisation in the work you undertook?Share your thoughts with your fellow learners.
An Introduction to Financial Management in Construction
Our purpose is to transform access to education.
We offer a diverse selection of courses from leading universities and cultural institutions from around the world. These are delivered one step at a time, and are accessible on mobile, tablet and desktop, so you can fit learning around your life.
We believe learning should be an enjoyable, social experience, so our courses offer the opportunity to discuss what you’re learning with others as you go, helping you make fresh discoveries and form new ideas.
You can unlock new opportunities with unlimited access to hundreds of online short courses for a year by subscribing to our Unlimited package. Build your knowledge with top universities and organisations.