Building upon what you already do
1. School or college wider strategy
- Is there a formal school, college or department plan for how careers should be implemented in your classroom? For example, careers sessions once a term, careers themed starters, careers specific content identified in your schemes of learning.
2. Classroom experiences
- Do you provide opportunity for students to personalise an element of their learning in a way that relates to their own career aspirations? For example, opportunities within existing schemes of work to bring in careers, employability and essential skill development.
3. Employer linked learning
- Do you provide students with the opportunity to learn from people who work in a field related to your subject? For example, in lesson presentations, activities, talks.
4. Highlighting further study routes and careers
- Do you include information in your lessons that help students to understand the further study routes available to them that link to your subject?
A full list of prompt questions for each area is available (PDF). You can use these questions to structure career learning conversations with colleagues, an activity that we will explore in more detail in Week 4.There may be aspects of curriculum-linked career learning already embedded within your classroom or department. We hope you will share these throughout the course and enhance your practice with some of the ideas we present.
What can you build upon?Take one or two of the areas above and share your current understanding or practice in the comments below. This is a useful point to capture your current thinking, and together with the self-audit from earlier this week, will help you evidence your development through this course.
Linking Curriculum Learning to STEM Careers
Our purpose is to transform access to education.
We offer a diverse selection of courses from leading universities and cultural institutions from around the world. These are delivered one step at a time, and are accessible on mobile, tablet and desktop, so you can fit learning around your life.
We believe learning should be an enjoyable, social experience, so our courses offer the opportunity to discuss what you’re learning with others as you go, helping you make fresh discoveries and form new ideas.
You can unlock new opportunities with unlimited access to hundreds of online short courses for a year by subscribing to our Unlimited package. Build your knowledge with top universities and organisations.