Known practitionersMany elite sporting people and their coaching staff are turning to mindful movement to improve performance. For example, professional tennis player Novak Djokovic learned mindfulness so he can realise when he starts obsessing about the outcome of a match (or dwelling on the last point he dropped) and simply bring his attention back to his body.National Basketball Association (NBA) coach Phil Jackson (who won nine championships) famously used mindfulness with his players, teaching them body awareness and efficient movement. And Australian swimming legend Murray Rose, when asked about the secret to his success (which included winning three gold medals at the 1956 Olympics), said “When you’re swimming, you do nothing else but swim, and I think that by doing that you achieve the greatest satisfaction by devoting your whole self, your whole energies, your whole thoughts to just one activity at a time. And I think that perhaps would be the essence of my personal philosophy.”
How to do any physical activity mindfullyHere are some suggestions for helping you to do any physical activity in a more mindful way.
- In the morning, take a few moments to stretch and breathe before getting up (or reaching for your phone).
- Likewise, when driving, pay attention to the road ahead, maintain an awareness of what is behind you and how fast your car is going etc.
- At the gym, take out the headphones and tune in to the body sensations and breath.
- When moving around, try to do it in a graceful way, without wasting effort or bumping into things.
- When you open a door (or open a stuck jar lid), try to use the minimum amount of force necessary.
Mindfulness for Wellbeing and Peak Performance
Our purpose is to transform access to education.
We offer a diverse selection of courses from leading universities and cultural institutions from around the world. These are delivered one step at a time, and are accessible on mobile, tablet and desktop, so you can fit learning around your life.
We believe learning should be an enjoyable, social experience, so our courses offer the opportunity to discuss what you’re learning with others as you go, helping you make fresh discoveries and form new ideas.
You can unlock new opportunities with unlimited access to hundreds of online short courses for a year by subscribing to our Unlimited package. Build your knowledge with top universities and organisations.